Cruden Bay Golf Club
A short History
Cruden Bay Golf ClubThe original course, on the present site, was commissioned by the Great North of Scotland Railway (GNSR) following the expansion of the railways at the end of the 19th century, designed by Old Tom Morris of St Andrews, and opened in 1899. Its opening was celebrated with a professional tournament, after which the winner Harry Vardon received the princely sum of 30. The present layout of the course is a result of it being redeveloped in 1926 by Tom Simpson and Herbert Fowler, although many of Tom Morris’ original greensites and basic routing are still in evidence. At the same time as the opening of the golf course in 1899 a railway link to Cruden Bay was created. The magnificent Cruden Bay Hotel was built, and the “new seaside and golfing resort” was nicknamed “the Brighton of the North”.
The grand Hotel, constructed from pink Peterhead granite, contained 94 bedrooms and rivalled Turnberry, looking down on the links and capturing the coastal splendour at a glance.
However the Depression in the 1930’s marked a rapid decline in the Hotel’s fortunes and it was forced to close in 1932. During the War it was used for billeting soldiers, fell into a state of disrepair, and finally was sold for demolition.
Fortunately for us, in July 1950, a group of local businessmen had the foresight to purchase the golf course, for the sum of 2750, and so began the history of Cruden Bay Golf Club as we now know it.
The photograph shows the new clubhouse, opened in 1998, towering over the original clubhouse, seen in the old photograph above. The old clubhouse is a listed building and has recently been restored by the Club.
For a more extensive history of the Golf Club and the golf course, read the Golf Club publication “A Century of Golf at Cruden Bay” available mail order from the Secretary, or from the Pro-Shop.